Re: Advice on raid/lvm

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 08:50:34PM -0500, Mark Allums (mark@allums.com) wrote:

>> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>>> Is there an advantage of software raid10 over multiple raid1 arrays
>>> joined with LVM?  Capacity can be dynamically added with pairs of disks.

>> Only one: simplicity.  It would make it easier for someone to
>> understand, in the beginning.

Curiously, I would've thought the opposite, that is, bunch of separate
raid1 arrays would be easier to understand than raid10.
Raid1 is conceptually simple compared to any other raid level,
and if you're using lvm anyway, it doesn't make much difference
whether physical volumes are disks or disk pairs.

Anybody want to claim being a newbie and having an opinion here?

--
Tapani Tarvainen