Re: Advice on raid/lvm

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 11:09:15AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. (bss@iguanasuicide.net) wrote:

> >> Is there an advantage of software raid10 over multiple raid1 arrays
> >> joined with LVM?
> >
> >Speed.
>
> Not much, if any.  LVM can stripe data across pvs ala RAID-0.

Well, then you are doing software raid10, even though not with md. :-)
But yes, the above description is ambiguous, and indeed lvm can
do striping and mirroring (could before md was invented, or even
before Linux ever got either).

I once compared raid0 with md vs. lvm striping (being used with
the latter from hp-ux), and decided to go with the former.
There wasn't much difference in speed as I recall, but md allowed
making bootable raid1 and it seemed better supported in Linux.

--
Tapani Tarvainen