Re: Advice on raid/lvm

Kelly Harding wrote:
Hi,

My server has got debian on it currently in the following configuration:

250Gb boot drive with partitions for / /boot /home
3x500Gb drives in RAID5 array, with XFS on top directly.

Aiming to get a couple of 1Tb drives to migrate the 3x500Gb RAID5
array to a RAID1 and use two of the 500Gb drives for thhe new boot
drive with LVM (With /boot / /home and so on on it).

Just wondering if theres any suggestions on how best to go about
migrating like this? not really worried too much about downtime, as
long as data is preserved. Reasons are mostly because the 250Gb drive
I believe could be getting close to failure (have backed up important
data on it to another machine using xfsdump).

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Kelly

Not really answering your question directly, but may I suggest, if cost is not *absolutely* critical, that you consider RAID 10? If it is a server, then certainly you will want to get away from a three-drive RAID 5. A RAID 10 is a good compromise between redundancy, speed, and cost. It just takes four drives instead of three (or two.)

Mark Allums