Re: debian testing

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:50:03 -0400, Ken Heard posted:

> Thorny wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Close to release time, Debian "testing" does become very stable and easy
>> to use, after a new "stable" release, testing becomes more volatile and
>> doesn't have as good security upgrades, that's because it's "testing".
>> Expect some breakage, it's "testing".
>>
>> When you come to the list for help be sure to specify that you are using
>> "testing" by that or by codename.
>

> When I upgraded from Sarge (my first Debian distro) to Etch and again from
> Etch to Lenny, I waited until the then current testing was "frozen" before
> upgrading to it from the then current stable, because I perceived
> (correctly I had hoped) there would be a frenzy of bug correcting between
> the freeze date and the stable declaration date.  For both upgrades I ran
> into minor problems which in most -- but not all -- cases were eliminated
> during that period.  I expect to do the same thing when Squeeze is frozen.

This is a very common method that quite a few people use, my point was for
posters to identify which branch they are using when reporting troubles
and/or asking for advice on this list.

Note: You do not get the same security upgrade support with "testing" that
you do with "stable" but that might not matter for your specific install.