Re: debian testing

2009/4/7 Brent Clark <brentgclarklist@gmail.com>
Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

How stable is debian testing (squeeze)? Is it worth updating to? Or
should I wait a little bit until more development has been done? I used
to run debian when it was testing, so wonder if squeez is this stable?

Daniel.

Hi

Im of the opinion that more people should be running testing (and if you know what you doing / more braver - use unstable).
It works and it works very well.

Here where I work, and at home too, I run debian testing. In the Ten years that I have been running Debian, I can only remember that on two occasions that I have experienced problems (but im sure the problem was more between the keyboard and chair ;) ).

Another thing is if more people would submit bugs. Really help the maintainers. Help the project and community.

The only problem I do have is with package management. I find it a bit cumbersome and too tiring to even bother (Think Debian could learn from FreeBSD).

Anyway.

HTH and hope you will give Testing a try.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

+1

I run testing for non-production boxes from ages.

If you want a more stable system you can use apt & pinning techniques to run a mixed stable/testing.
Also, when in testing, have a look at BTS for packages you are interested in.

regards
raffaele