Re: debian testing

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:34:00 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:

> Daniel Dalton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How stable is debian testing (squeeze)? Is it worth updating to? Or
>> should I wait a little bit until more development has been done? I used
>> to run debian when it was testing, so wonder if squeez is this stable?
>>
>> Daniel.
>>

> Hi
>
> Im of the opinion that more people should be running testing (and if you
> know what you doing / more braver - use unstable). It works and it works
> very well.

I run testing on my workstations, and I run stable on my server --
except at the moment I can't get NFS mounts to work with lenny/stable
so I'm actually still running etch/oldstable on the server.

When I upgrade, I always keep a spare bootable partition with the
old Debian on it, just in case.  Thus in the server, when I upgraded to
lenny, I firat copied mu etch.  If I hadn't dome that, my server would
have been quite useless as server.  And on the client machines that run
squeeze, there'a a bootable partition containing lenny.

A few years ago when sarge was testing (I think it was sarge) X went
through several major changes in rapid order *and* udev was being
introduced, I had to go back to woody, which I still had around.  X was
very much improved by the revolution,  but it was tough while it was
going on.

So run testing, by all means, but keep a stable around just in case.

-- hendrik