Re: pulseaudio blaming alsa driver [was: Re: youtube videos choppy in Testing and Iceape]

Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,04.Apr.09, 23:21:27, H.S. wrote:
>
>> Apr  4 23:16:48 red pulseaudio[6096]: module-alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us
>> up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to
>> write! Most likely this is an ALSA driver bug. Please report this issue
>> to the PulseAudio developers.
>> Anybody know what is going one?
>
> Did you try taking pulseaudio out of the equation? (BTW, why do you need
> pulseaudio on the local machine?)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

hmm .. I am trying to kill pulseaudio and work without it, but it
appears that as soon as I start and audio/video application PA also starts.

PA is actually a great piece of software. I can hotplut a USB headset
and start using it seamlessly. I can use my PCI audio for one
application and USB headset for another. I can route audio from one sink
to another without having to restart an application! It is quite neat.
Not to mention the fact that I can set volume for each individual
application.

Other than that, of course, there is that network sound thing.

But by far the most useful thing for my on my desktop is the ease with
which to attach an audio device (USB, e.g.) and start using it.

ever having been read.