Re: Debian RAM supporting.

On Thu,02.Apr.09, 11:32:26, Bret Busby wrote:

>>> Does this mean that if we want to have a computer with 4GB or more of
>>> RAM, that we need to get a computer with a 64 bit CPU?
>>
>> (sorry for not snipping)
>>
>> The only "need" I can find here is:

>> What seems to be the problem?

> You may not have used snipping, but you appear to have been sniping.

English in not my first language, I'm not sure what you mean here.

> And, prithee, what is the content and meaning of the paragraph that is
> two paragraphs after the paragraph that you quoted?

The one starting with "Personally, I think..." and ends with enumerating
compatibility issues with some other OSes?

> Also, I subsequently found, at
> http://www.acer.com.au/acer/product.do?link=oln23g.redirect&changedAlts=&kcond5e.c2att92=853&CRC=1165838950
> ,
> "A 64-bit operating system is required to enjoy the ultimate performance
> of 4 GB memory"

Again, English is not my first language, but "ultimate" in this context
reminds me of some GNU/Linux users who think recompiling everything will
noticeably increase their system performance.

> So, does anyone who has something worth saying, know whether a 64 bit
> CPU and a 64 bit OS, is required to properly use >= 4GB of RAM?

No, it is not *required*. It is a *good idea* for a *new* setup, but the
benefits of adding more RAM to a computer will, in most cases, outweigh
the slowdowns introduced by using PAE. Of course, this is all my opinion
and YMMV.

Maybe if you would give more details about your specific application the
answers would be more direct.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)