Re: Debian RAM supporting.

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Thu,02.Apr.09, 01:45:33, Bret Busby wrote:
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Justin The Cynical wrote:

Daniel Suleyman wrote:
Dear ALL.
I have HP proliant DL380 G4 with 12 GB ram.
I want to install debian lenny on it. Orocessors are 32bit.
Installing debian from standard small cd debian-500-i386-netinst.iso
will allow me to use whole 12 GB or additional setup will be needed?

If you only have a 32-bit processor, you will need to install and use
the bigmem kernel after the initial install, which will make use of
PAE.

Search for PAE for more info if you are interested.

Personally, I think you would be better off finding a 64-bit Xeon for
that machine
(http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html
lists it as an option).  PAE is somewhat of a hack IMO, and there are
known incompatibilities with some operating systems (FreeBSD, Solaris)
and environments (desktop Windows versions).

Does this mean that if we want to have a computer with 4GB or more of
RAM, that we need to get a computer with a 64 bit CPU?

(sorry for not snipping)

The only "need" I can find here is:

If you only have a 32-bit processor, you will need to install and use
the bigmem kernel after the initial install, which will make use of
PAE.

What seems to be the problem?

Regards,
Andrei
--

You may not have used snipping, but you appear to have been sniping.

And, prithee, what is the content and meaning of the paragraph that is two paragraphs after the paragraph that you quoted?

Also, I subsequently found, at http://www.acer.com.au/acer/product.do?link=oln23g.redirect&changedAlts=&kcond5e.c2att92=853&CRC=1165838950 , "A 64-bit operating system is required to enjoy the ultimate performance of 4 GB memory"

So, does anyone who has something worth saying, know whether a 64 bit CPU and a 64 bit OS, is required to properly use >= 4GB of RAM?

It reminds me of when the 80486 CPU was released, and, from memory, the only operating system then available that could properly use the facilities of that CPU, was UNIX.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."