Re: rsync mirrors of debian CD How?

On 2009-03-29_16:45:05, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:36:17AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 2009-03-29_06:07:29, Thorny wrote:
> > > On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:01:17 -0600, Paul E Condon posted:

> > which refers to a server in my part of the country. (Red doesn't come thru in
> > my cut and paste. Nor do bullets.)
> >
> Aptitude install rsync / apt-get install rsync
>
> Then (probably as root)
>
> rsync debian.mirrors.tds.net::debian-cd/
>
> Which would get you the whole of the debian-cd/ tree.
>
> This is probably _NOT_ what you want.
>
> Try downloading a netinst via http (go to http://cdimage.debian.org and
> browse down till you get to your architecture)
>
> OR
>
> aptitude install jigdo-file / apt-get install jigdo-file
>
> Then download the template and .jigdo file from cdimage.org and, as
> root, run
>
> jigdo-lite
>
> in the same directory as the directory you downloaded them to.
>
> This will then prompt you for your nearest mirror and will build the
> image by getting ten or so files at a time until the image is complete.
>
> All best,
>
> AndyC

Thanks. It is clear from this that "Rsync Mirrors" is not at all what
I thought it was. I had thought it was an improvement on jigdo for
downloading an updated version of an iso for which I already had an
older, out-of-date file.

What I had thought was that I could take my netinst.iso from a few
months before Lenny release and rsync it into being a true copy of the
latest version of Lenny netinst without having to transfer ALL the
individual bits of the new copy. That would save some time and
bandwidth over downloading a whole new copy, but ... I sure was
mistaken. I certainly don't want to mirror the whole Lenny repository
locally. No wonder Thorny was puzzled by my question!

My download of a new netinst is half done while I composed this reply.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net