Re: rsync mirrors of debian CD How?

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:36:17AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 2009-03-29_06:07:29, Thorny wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:01:17 -0600, Paul E Condon posted:
> >
> > > I see a list of rsync mirrors for an install CD at www.debian.org. I am
> > > running Lenny and have rsync installed. I have successfully used rsync to
> > > do backups locally between hosts on the same LAN. But I don't know what to
> > > do to use these mirrors.
> > >

> > Where on that page do you see this list?
>
> I start at:
> http://www.debian.org/
>
> I click on "CD ISO images" in the left hand column.
> This takes me to:
> http://www.debian.org/CD/
>
> I click on "Rsync Mirrors" in the left hand column.
> This takes me to:
> http://www.debian.org/CD/mirroring/rsync-mirrors
>
> On this page there is a bullet list. In each line of this list there is some
> text starting with "rsync". This text is rendered in red by iceweasel.
> At first glance the text looks to be a command that might be executed at a
> command line, but closer examination leads me to believe that it is not a
> well formed command. I am asking what I should do to make use of the information
> in this list. In particular, since I live in Colorado, I think I should focus
> my attention on the line:
>
> <#> United States: debian.mirrors.tds.net: rsync debian.mirrors.tds.net::debian-cd/
>
> which refers to a server in my part of the country. (Red doesn't come thru in
> my cut and paste. Nor do bullets.)

Aptitude install rsync / apt-get install rsync

Then (probably as root)

rsync debian.mirrors.tds.net::debian-cd/

Which would get you the whole of the debian-cd/ tree.

This is probably _NOT_ what you want.

Try downloading a netinst via http (go to http://cdimage.debian.org and
browse down till you get to your architecture)

OR

aptitude install jigdo-file / apt-get install jigdo-file

Then download the template and .jigdo file from cdimage.org and, as
root, run

jigdo-lite

in the same directory as the directory you downloaded them to.

This will then prompt you for your nearest mirror and will build the
image by getting ten or so files at a time until the image is complete.

All best,

AndyC