Debian on HP ProLiant and amd64 kernel

Hi all!

I have a HP Proliant DL380 G5 server in that I was testing Debian
GNU/Linux Etch stable, but when trying to boot with stock kernel
linux-image-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64, I got the following error message:

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detects an i686 CPU
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropiate for your CPU.

Testing with a stock kernel linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64, I got the
following error message:

You cpu does not support long mode. Use a 32 bit distribution

It is something that causes certain surprise to me, since I have
understood that the processor supports 64 bits. With kernel 2.6.24 of
Ubuntu server Hardy Heron happens the same exactly. This is the
information about the processor:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5405  @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2000.051
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx tm2 ssse3 cx16
xtpr dca sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4002.45
clflush size    : 64

Peculiarly, I see the flag 'lm', that I have understood that it would be
indicating the processor supports 'long mode'.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37