Thank you all for your explanations and patience. I've done some more reading, though I'm not sure that I completely understand.

Here's what I think I'm hearing: When I look at a directory I'm looking at a file system, not necessarily a list of physical locations. But on the other hand, the partitions are specific-sized containers where parts of the file system reside. The file system directory is a like an address book listing the members of a family in a genealogical tree and indicating how they're tied into the system in a heirarchically connected telephone conference call. The partitions are their actual locations (the homes where they reside at a physical address). Am I understanding that correctly or am I still not getting it?

Here's my setup:

#1  primary  19.0 GB        ntfs
#2  primary   6.0 GB   B F  ext3  /
#5  logical   1.0 GB     F  swap  swap
#6  logical  14.0 GB     F  ext3  /home

I'm beginning to think that I need more space for hda2, which is /. I only have the Gnome metapackage loaded and I've used up a couple of gig.

I'm tempted to use gparted to resize some partitions, shrinking hda1 and enlarging hda2 and hda6. I can always just reinstall if I really mess things up. And I suppose that losing Windows 2000 wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. There's no data there, just programs. I'm either learning a lot or getting reckless. ;-)