Re: DVD Region Codes and Debian multimedia software

Bret Busby:

> Apparently, multimedia applications, such as Totem MPlayer, in Debian
> can play movies that are recorded on DVD's.
>
> Are these movie players able to read and play DVD's from any and all
> Region Codes, or, are they limited to particular region codes?

The region code is not tied to software, but to your hardware. DVD
players (either stand-alone or for computers) have one code set when
leaving the factory and change it when you insert a DVD with another
region code. The stupidity is that they (generally) only allow a few of
these changes (say, five). After that, they refuse to play anything else
than the region code they switched to the last time.

J.
--
When standing at the top of beachy head I find the rocks below very
attractive.