Re: Illogical drives?

postid wrote:
Just finished a lenny install. I used manual partitioning in the
graphical installer to do the following:

#1  primary  19.0 GB        ntfs
#2  primary   6.0 GB   B F  ext3  /
#5  logical   1.0 GB     F  swap  swap
#6  logical  14.0 GB     F  ext3  /home

#1 is Win2000 and boots from grub just fine. Lenny works nicely,
too, however things arren't exactly where I suspected they would
be, but then I've not had logical partitions before.

On the Gnome desktop, when I click on the computer icon, I get a list that includes an icon for "filesystem," which appears to be #2 since it's 5.5 GB total capacity with 3.3 GB used. But I have no icon for #6 which is /home.

When I make a directory of the filesystem, I see that there's a
home folder there that properties tells me is located at / and is
a volume called /home which is 13 GB.

Shouldn't /home be listed as a separate drive? Shouldn't it have
its own icon? Why is it located in /, it's its own partition,
isn't it? Or, as a logical partition, is it physically located within /?

/etc/fstab lists hda2, hda5 and hda6, so at the console at least it's a separate partition.

I see, however, that that when I make a directory of /mnt it's
empty! If I'm in / or home (hda2 or hda6), shouldn't the other one appear in /mnt?

If memory serves me correctly, guided partitioning suggested the logical partitions for a scheme, before I decided to do it manually.

I'm tempted to reinstall, this time making all four partitions primary partitions.

These logical partitions seem illogical to me. Have I done
something wrong or is it just that way with logical partitions? What are the advantages/disadvantages of logical and primary partitions?. I've read about them on the web, but it's still as clear as mud to me.

/root, swap and /home are all part of the operating system and is viewed as one system, if you wish to view them and there usage or any other drive/partitions that you install you can install and use "kdf" (KwikDisk/KDiskFree), KDF is handy for viewing partition usage and quick mount/unmount of your partitions or "gparted", GParted is not only handy for moving and resizing partitions but also viewing and checking and repairing partitions too, aether will allow you to view your drives/partitions usage while using a GUI application.

Note: KDF will only show partitions correctly written to fstab and connected USB drives while GParted will show all working drive/partitions connected to your computer mounted or not.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263