Illogical drives?

Just finished a lenny install. I used manual partitioning in the
graphical installer to do the following:

#1  primary  19.0 GB        ntfs
#2  primary   6.0 GB   B F  ext3  /
#5  logical   1.0 GB     F  swap  swap
#6  logical  14.0 GB     F  ext3  /home

#1 is Win2000 and boots from grub just fine. Lenny works nicely,
too, however things arren't exactly where I suspected they would
be, but then I've not had logical partitions before.

On the Gnome desktop, when I click on the computer icon, I get a list that includes an icon for "filesystem," which appears to be #2 since it's 5.5 GB total capacity with 3.3 GB used. But I have no icon for #6 which is /home.

When I make a directory of the filesystem, I see that there's a
home folder there that properties tells me is located at / and is
a volume called /home which is 13 GB.

Shouldn't /home be listed as a separate drive? Shouldn't it have
its own icon? Why is it located in /, it's its own partition,
isn't it? Or, as a logical partition, is it physically located within /?

/etc/fstab lists hda2, hda5 and hda6, so at the console at least it's a separate partition.

I see, however, that that when I make a directory of /mnt it's
empty! If I'm in / or home (hda2 or hda6), shouldn't the other one appear in /mnt?

If memory serves me correctly, guided partitioning suggested the logical partitions for a scheme, before I decided to do it manually.

I'm tempted to reinstall, this time making all four partitions primary partitions.

These logical partitions seem illogical to me. Have I done
something wrong or is it just that way with logical partitions? What are the advantages/disadvantages of logical and primary partitions?. I've read about them on the web, but it's still as clear as mud to me.

--postid