Re: sound blaster problem -

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:59, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:

>> lets see what you have in /proc/asound/cards and /proc/asound/devices
>>
>> ah, and something else.
>>
>> 1) install latest kernel
>> 2) install latest alsa drivers. Try may be also the development tree as
>> suggested in one other posting
>>

> i got the following, when i :  sudo modprobe -v snd-ca0106
>
> srvname:/home/roger# cat /proc/asound/cards
> --- no soundcards ---
> srvname:/home/roger# cat /proc/asound/devices
>   1:        : sequencer
>  33:        : timer
>

> 1) i am concerned about the latest kernel...I really do not want to do that.
>
> 2) where do i get the latest alsa drivers ?  how do i know if already got
> the drivers ??

Are you using stable (Lenny)? If so, you have alsa 1.0.17, 1.0.19 is current

This should work to update the drivers

get http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-driver/alsa-source_1.0.19.dfsg-2_all.deb

then do all the following as root or with sudo:

dpkp -i alsa-source_1.0.19.dfsg-2_all.deb
aptitude install module-assistant
m-a update
m-a prepare
m-a a-i alsa

Aside from trying new alsa drivers, you could try to get the
Creative drivers working:

http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

Or you could try to build and use OSSv4 for linux (a major undertaking,
I haven't tried it yet):

http://www.opensound.com/wiki/index.php/Building_OSSv4_from_source

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers