Re: sound blaster problem -

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:25, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>> First, I personally wouldn't call it a Soundblaster. That is part of its
>> name,
>> but calling it that might put people (me, for one!) in mind of the
>> original
>> SBs (1989-1995, SB16, SB AWE32, etc.). I usually call Creative cards by
>> the
>> last part of the name, e.g. AWE32, Live!, Audigy, X-Fi.
>> And the problem is that Creative does not care about Linux in the least,
>> and the only drivers for X-Fi for ALSA is an out-of-tree beta (more like
>> alpha, really) and an alpha, incomplete port of the OSSv4 X-Fi driver.
>> The driver someone else pointed to is the Audigy driver.
>> See this[1] recent Phoronix article for more details.
>> I have boycotted Creative for a long time, due to their anti-competitive
>> practices, poor driver support of Linux, and even Vista(!), is just one
>> more reason not to buy Creative.
>> [1]  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE2Ng
> Thanks for the input -
> Do you recommend another sound card that is a pci-express for a linux system
> ???
> Do you have url where i can buy it ???
> I was hoping to use this one, if possible because i already spent the money
> on it .

It does suck to find a working piece of equipment you already have is
useless due to driver issues.

As for other sound cards - outside of some Pro-level cards and the X-Fi,
I only know of one PCIe sound card, the Asus Xonar. The cheapest Xonar
is around $90 (expensive, but it is a very good card, some prefer it over
X-Fi purely on quality issues). Newegg is a good place to buy it if you are
in the USA.

Sound cards only recently entered the PCIe arena, because they generally
don't need the bandwidth of PCIe and PCIe's design actually causes some
problems for sound cards.

I don't know what you are doing with your audio, but for many things,
modern onboard sound is fine. Onboard sound chips used to be stereo
only and had quality issues and noise from the rest of board. But modern
sound chips are often very good, and are usually 5.1 or 7.1.

If your board doesn't have onboard sound, you could go with old-fashioned
PCI, assuming you have a free slot. I understand the urge to use the newest
interconnect, but it isn't necessarily the best option for sound right now.

Kelly Clowers