Re: Moving to LVM

In <[🔎] 20090317141915.GA61278@fuchs>, André Berger wrote:
>That said, two ext3 filesystems would be absolutely OK with me, as
>long as I could merge them virtually, so my movieplayer (dbox2) would
>have to access just one directory.

You might want to look into unionfs (or other "layered" file systems), that
is probably closer to what you want.  The "unioned" file system will still
become unavailable if you don't have both ext3 file systems, but since the
underlying file systems are separate, losing one will not affect the other
at all.

>Could "mount --bind" come to the rescue? But if I mounted one
>directory 'over' another, it would 'cover' the original one, which
>wouldn't be accessible any more, would it?

That's exactly right.  So, it's not as simple as a single mount --bind.

If you are using directories/folders to organize the files at all, you might
be able to partition the directories between the file systems and just bind
mount the directories to one consistent view and avoid using unionfs.