Re: Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch. Try 2

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:22:57 -0600
Robert Hodgins <ehodgins@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> I sent this email in two parts. It seems that only the second part got
> through. So, here are both parts combined into one email.
>
> I have a (old) Pentium 75 that used to run Etch. I have been trying to
> install Lenny on it without success. The installation stops at the 6%
> point of the "Installation of Base System" step. Various packages are
> being retrieved at that point. At different times, the installation
> has stopped while it was getting dpkg, coreutils, bdsutils, and
> libselinux1.
>
> When the installation stalls, I can't get CTRL-ALT-F4 to open another
> console, so I can't tell exactly what was going on.

Assuming you are using the text installer (if you haven't you should,
just in case), you should be able Alt-F4 to see the system logs (ctrl
is unnecessary in text mode.  Alt-F3 and Alt-F2 should be alternate
consoles you can use.

I recommend watching the syslog in Alt-F4 and only switching to Alt-F1
when you need to do input.  Perhaps a kernel fault, or bad CD-ROM
drive?  It could also be bad RAM (have you tried memtest?), or some
other intermittent fault in hardware (like IDE).

Basically if you haven't already do so I would test the hardware.  You
seem to have enough RAM so that shouldn't be the issue, and assuming
good media that leaves hardware or driver problems as the most likely
causes.

I guess one other possibility is if the installer is not using the 486
kernel but the 686 one (/var/log/syslog in the installer will tell you
the answer to that).

Good luck,

Daniel
--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore