Re: How to troubleshoot aptitude segfaults ?

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>  I would suggest just upgrading aptitude on its own (with the command
> "apt-get install aptitude") and seeing whether it works.  If it does,
> you can use it for the rest of the upgrade.

Thanks Daniel  - this is sure to work for me.

Unfortunately it pulled in libc6 from lenny, which (unlike etch)
requires thread-local storage support in its user-mode linux (UML)
host:

( see http://web.archive.org/web/20070221042114/http://www.mythic-beasts.com/umlwiki/wiki.pl?2.6_And_TLS
 - I am told that the workaround on that wiki does not work on lenny
but there is a new version of UML)

apt-get aborted the install but does not seem to have left the
instance broken in any obvious way.

Therefore I will wait until the hosting provider upgrades the UML host
to support TLS before trying your recommendations again.