Re: How to troubleshoot aptitude segfaults ?

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:18:32AM +0000, David Corking <lists@dcorking.com> was heard to say:
> Please suggest the next steps for troubleshooting an aptitude
> installation that is crashing.

  I was going to suggest installing aptitude-dbg, but...

> As far as I can tell, the trouble began when an 'upgrade' put 4.0
> packages into a 3.1 installation.  However the server is now fully
> upgraded to 4.0 (etch) and the only problem with it now is aptitude .
> The server is a UML (user mode Linux) instance.

  ...do you mean etch or lenny?  If you really mean etch, then
aptitude-dbg is not available.  You'll have to run apt-get source to
fetch the aptitude source and then compile it with debugging symbols.
(./configure && make should do the trick, once you install the
build-deps)

  Daniel