How to troubleshoot aptitude segfaults ?

Please suggest the next steps for troubleshooting an aptitude
installation that is crashing.

When I try to use it interactively I get:
# aptitude
Ouch!  Got SIGSEGV, dying..
Segmentation fault

For non-interactive use, I get:
# aptitude upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
Segmentation fault

Would you suggest a particular stack trace or core file for analysis?
Otherwise, is there a way to clear aptitude's package database and
construct a new one?

As far as I can tell, the trouble began when an 'upgrade' put 4.0
packages into a 3.1 installation.  However the server is now fully
upgraded to 4.0 (etch) and the only problem with it now is aptitude .
The server is a UML (user mode Linux) instance.

I can fall back to using apt-get, (which still works as far as I can
tell) but of course I don't then get aptitude's features like
automatic package removal.

Best, David