Re: Why did you chose Debian over CentOS?

>Michael Pobega wrote :
>
> I am not sure if Debian has anything like Kickstart, but to be fair I
> can't think of one time I would have needed it. Debootstrap/dd works
> fine whenever I needed to quickly setup a system. Kickstart would just
> be a superfluous app I'd never use.

Hi, I just read an interesting article about FAI [1] (Fully Automatic
Installer), which present itself as :

"FAI - Fully Automatic Installation

FAI is an automated installation tool to install or deploy Debian
GNU/Linux and other distributions on a bunch of different hosts or a
Cluster. It's more flexible than other tools like kickstart for Red Hat,
autoyast and alice for SuSE or Jumpstart for SUN Solaris. FAI can also
be used for configuration management of a running system.

You can take one or more virgin PCs, turn on the power and after a few
minutes Linux is installed, configured and running on all your machines,
without any interaction necessary."

Maybe it's relevant to the _controversy_ debate ?

And best news is:

aptitude search fai
p   fai-client         - Fully Automatic Installation client package
p   fai-doc            - Documentation for FAI
p   fai-nfsroot        - Fully Automatic Installation nfsroot package
p   fai-quickstart     - Fully Automatic Installation quickstart package
p   fai-server         - Fully Automatic Installation server package

[1] http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

Tom