Re: to kill a process ?

On 2009-03-05_21:33:48, Martin Kraus wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:43:16PM +0100, J?rg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> > Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I have a process that I see in ps, but cannot kill.
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > I issue the following command:
> > > gq:/db2/chkpnt# kill -9 9398
>
> what is the status of that process? maybe it's stuck in a system call and than
> it's unkillable.
> mk

I've learned since my initial post that it is in status 'D' and is unkillable.
But I think this is a bug. In Debian? In procfs? In Linux? In Unix? I don't
know which, but surely a system as sophisticated as Debian/GNU/Linux should
not be so vulnerable to the vagaries of hard disk devices. Because it is in
status 'D' , it is incapable of reporting any diagnostic information, like
What HD? and What driver call? I'm learning a lot on this quest.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net