Re: package management begins to annoy me

On 02/27/2009 11:33 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Thursday 26 February 2009 18:14:14 Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/26/2009 05:28 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
That is, unless you are trying to script the package manager.  In that
case I think apt-get or libapt are better choices.
Then aptitude should remove the CLI interface and stop pretending to
be useful from bash.

While I understand the value of commands being scriptable, not every command-line application I use is. I'm fine with aptitude not being as scriptable as apt-get as long and apt-get stays available.

Aptitude can be useful in scripts. I've done it before. However, it was designed to be used interactively and non-interactive operation is a bit second-class.

Apt-get has some limitations to working non-interactively as well. When debconf needs some information or conflict resolution is sticky, it really does help to have a person to query.

Maybe my computing needs are just too simple?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.