Re: Debian Lenny Based SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is Released

H.S. wrote:
Jimmy Johnson wrote:
Neil Ellwood wrote:

Personally I haven't found anything easier than Debian and it is more
reliable than anything else I have tried. Why use a derivative when the
original is marvellous?

Hi Neil, I'm along time Debian user (7 years) and if there was something
wrong with Mepis I would not suggest you trying it, saying that, Mepis
has one click tools that Debian don't have, like it will repair grub for
you with a click or reinstall a working x-configuration for you with a

Wonderful! Repairing grub and X with a click seems to be very useful to
desktop users. Can't Mepis give back to Debian by providing these
packages to Debian repos? Other such GUI conveniences too.

Mepis (Warren Woodford) has given plenty to the community and he is not untouchable, it's Debian that needs to take the initiative, I contacted Daniel Baumann (Debian Live) about trying Mepis and he said he wanted to and would give Mepis a try, but in the time he said he would, he did not. I think Daniel has the same mind as Klaus Knopper and that is that the live cd is a tool and not meant to be installed. So if you guys want tools in Debian you need to talk to the Debian Dev's or KDE Dev's or Gnome Dev's, but I think it's best as a Live CD and Daniel is the Dev for that.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263