Re: Debian Lenny Based SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is Released

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:20:07 -0800
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> H.S. wrote:
> > Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> >> reliable than anything else I have tried. Why use a derivative when the
> >> original is marvellous?
> >>

> >> Hi Neil, I'm along time Debian user (7 years) and if there was something
> >> wrong with Mepis I would not suggest you trying it, saying that, Mepis
> >> has one click tools that Debian don't have, like it will repair grub for
> >> you with a click or reinstall a working x-configuration for you with a
>

> > Wonderful! Repairing grub and X with a click seems to be very useful to
> > desktop users. Can't Mepis give back to Debian by providing these
> > packages to Debian repos? Other such GUI conveniences too.
>

> Mepis (Warren Woodford) has given plenty to the community and he is not
> untouchable, it's Debian that needs to take the initiative, I contacted
> Daniel Baumann (Debian Live) about trying Mepis and he said he wanted to
> and would give Mepis a try, but in the time he said he would, he did
> not. I think Daniel has the same mind as Klaus Knopper and that is that
> the live cd is a tool and not meant to be installed. So if you guys want
> tools in Debian you need to talk to the Debian Dev's or KDE Dev's or
> Gnome Dev's, but I think it's best as a Live CD and Daniel is the Dev
> for that.

I don't know Daniel, and I have no idea what's going through his head.
I just want to point out that he contributes a great deal to Debian,
and quite likely spends a great deal of time doing it:

~$ grep-available -F maintainer Baumann -s Package
Package: libpth20
Package: libdvdread3
Package: libdvdread4
Package: dwm-tools