chroot or vm?

Greetings,

i'm planning on running an http server, mainly for fun and to learn a
bit, on my home machine. That's the same machine that has my personal
stuff. I know this is sort of a religious question, but what do you
guys recomend: running the server in a chroot or in some VM? Or a
combination of both? Right nwo i'm relying ont he router's firewall,
the usual all external blocked, all internal allowed, but if i want an
internal amchine public i'll want a real firewall. What's the default?
iptables? Other suggestions? I'd really want to separate public stuff
from private.

I'm running unstable on an AMD64 with 4GB of RAM.

TIA,
Nuno Magalhães
LU#484677