Re: Debian Lenny Based SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is Released

Jimmy Johnson wrote:

Hi Neil, I'm along time Debian user (7 years) and if there was something wrong with Mepis I would not suggest you trying it, saying that, Mepis has one click tools that Debian don't have, like it will repair grub for you with a click or reinstall a working x-configuration for you with a click, install and save /home with a click, add and remove users with a click, check file-systems with a click, the list goes on... Sure these things can be done without "One Click Linux", but why?

One day the "Debian Live CD Project" may create such a live cd but not today. :)

I do love Debian, even as frustrating as it may be at times. I would hope one of the projects goals is to make using it easier and easier with each release. I do agree with Jimmy, what is wrong with "One Click Linux"? Being able to prove that your above it? Regardless those in the know would be able to tinker away to their hearts desire, while defaulting to and making available an easier generally user wide system.

Sometimes I'm reminded of the scene in Indiana Jones when Jones is faced with the sword carrying-spinning-putting on a huge show enemy, Jones stands there for a second in appreciation of this mans skill, pulls out a pistol, shoots him then moves on.

I'd love to see some of these tools make it to Debian.

http://www.xkcd.com/530/