Re: Debian Lenny Based SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is Released

Daryl Styrk wrote:
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

Hi Neil, I'm along time Debian user (7 years) and if there was something wrong with Mepis I would not suggest you trying it, saying that, Mepis has one click tools that Debian don't have, like it will repair grub for you with a click or reinstall a working x-configuration for you with a click, install and save /home with a click, add and remove users with a click, check file-systems with a click, the list goes on... Sure these things can be done without "One Click Linux", but why?

One day the "Debian Live CD Project" may create such a live cd but not today. :)

I do love Debian, even as frustrating as it may be at times. I would hope one of the projects goals is to make using it easier and easier with each release. I do agree with Jimmy, what is wrong with "One Click Linux"? Being able to prove that your above it? Regardless those in the know would be able to tinker away to their hearts desire, while defaulting to and making available an easier generally user wide system.

I'm just guessing here about whether or not this issue applies to these specific tools people are talking about, but one issue that has often prevented quick uptake of some tools/implementations/ideas from Debian derivatives into Debian proper is that Debian proper supports a much wider range of architectures than any Debian derivative I know of. Mepis, for example, just supports x86 hardware. Ubuntu is the same. Ubuntu used to support PPC, but I'm pretty sure they dropped it. Debian supports those plus SPARC, ARM, MIPS, IA-64 (different from x86-64, or amd64), and others I've never heard of let alone ever seen.

They don't call it "the universal operating system" for nothing. I think only NetBSD, 'the operating system you can run on your toaster,' supports more architectures, but my impressions may be outdated.

Anyway, the advantage for computer users the world over is that Debian is an option available to them when other distros are not. The disadvantage from the perspective of JoeBlow-x86-home-user is that Debian development can be slower and lag behind other distros in some areas because Debian has to port what it incorporates to so many architectures, and that takes time and developers, each of whom have their own particular priorities and special problems unique to their architectures.

So I think it's incumbent upon Debian users to decide whether one of these more targeted distros, like Mepis or Ubuntu, might be better options for them, and one of them very well might be. As for me, I've tried many other distros (Debian derivatives and otherwise), and I keep coming back to Debian.

Michael M.