Re: New Video Card

David Baron wrote:
1. Which is better (I assume the matrox but am willing to learn otherwise) ?

Allegedly, Matrox cards has had great support under X for quite some time. I guess the real answer to this will be dependent upon what type of stuff you do on your PC. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume "things that don't require a lot of 3D rendering".

2. How do I set my xorg.conf now to get higher screen resolution--since xorg now simply loves to simply using default configured everything?

1. Backup your current xorg.conf file.
2. X -configure
I'm not sure about Debian 5, but previous versions of reconfiguring the X server "The Debian Way (TM)" didn't let X use its own probing which seems to work really well on the hardware I've done it on. X -configure always worked out better for me.

3. Best to use agp instead of pci (I think the two adjacent slots share resources anyway)?

AGP is newer and supports more data throughput than PCI, but both of those technologies are very old. This is why I'm assuming you're not doing any heavy 3D work (graphics or games), so either/or will work for what you're using it for.

4. Any other tips and docs around?

Always wear a wool sweater and wool socks, then drag your feet on furry carpets before you begin working inside your PC. When you feel the electricity arc between your fingertip and a component on your computer, everything should run twice as fast.

JUST KIDDING!  Don't do that!

Next time you submit a question, it would be helpful to know which release of Debian you're using and which version of X. :-)