Re: New Video Card

> David Baron wrote:
> > 1. Which is better (I assume the matrox but am willing to learn
> > otherwise) ?
>
> Allegedly, Matrox cards has had great support under X for quite some
> time.  I guess the real answer to this will be dependent upon what type
> of stuff you do on your PC.  I'm going to go out on a limb and assume
> "things that don't require a lot of 3D rendering".

No, not a big gamer but newer kde needs opengl. I remember the wierd artifacts
in that old Mac64 with my own compiled dri stuff and my son's complaining
about that card. The nvidia was great in comparison

> > 2. How do I set my xorg.conf now to get higher screen resolution--since
> > xorg now simply loves to simply using default configured everything?
>
> 1. Backup your current xorg.conf file.
> 2. X -configure
> I'm not sure about Debian 5, but previous versions of reconfiguring the
> X server "The Debian Way (TM)" didn't let X use its own probing which
> seems to work really well on the hardware I've done it on.  X -configure
> always worked out better for me.
The "debian way" does nothing. I do not have X-configure

> > 3. Best to use agp instead of pci (I think the two adjacent slots share
> > resources anyway)?
>
> AGP is newer and supports more data throughput than PCI, but both of
> those technologies are very old.  This is why I'm assuming you're not
> doing any heavy 3D work (graphics or games), so either/or will work for
> what you're using it for.
Apparently that voodoo is no slouch at all. Maybe I'll just go with the one my
friend will sell me for less. KDE4 looks the same with both.

> > 4. Any other tips and docs around?
>
> Always wear a wool sweater and wool socks, then drag your feet on furry
> carpets before you begin working inside your PC.  When you feel the
> electricity arc between your fingertip and a component on your computer,
> everything should run twice as fast.
>
> JUST KIDDING!  Don't do that!
I've seen "professional" tech do just at that. Luckily I did not have a gun at
the time.

> Next time you submit a question, it would be helpful to know which
> release of Debian you're using and which version of X. :-)
Debian Sid (KDE4 off experimental), Xorg off Sid. That fact that these cards
played with no configuration is a great one-up on windows which paces you
through the find and install new software routine. I just want my 1200 lines
back. BTW, I compiled the voodoo 3d modules (stated as experimental) for the
kernel but most likely uses glide for the voodoo since it worked without them.