New Video Card

My rusty trusty mx400 legacy nvidia kicked. Had to get another cheap or free.
A dealer-friend gave me several to try out, two sockitomes, a voodoo and a
matrox-PCI.

I have learned a lot. The old mach64 has its dri stuff in the kernel package
now but that old 8-megger just never really hacked it. Spending more than a
day chasing my tail trying to get either the voodoo-agp or matrox-pci working,
trying all kinds of modules options, etc. Learned, use the distributed
xorg.conf which has simply "configured items" and no specific configuration at
all and it plays! First time, every time. Why didn't anyone telll me :-)

A few kudos: I can only get to 1024x768. With the matrox, at least, I should
be able to do better. The old xorg.conf had a slew of resolution items in it.

Both cards has frame-buffer drivers. The matrox has a bunch and modprobing any
of them makes one see stars ... and little else. Anyway:

1. Which is better (I assume the matrox but am willing to learn otherwise) ?
2. How do I set my xorg.conf now to get higher screen resolution--since xorg
now simply loves to simply using default configured everything?
3. Best to use agp instead of pci (I think the two adjacent slots share
resources anyway)?
4. Any other tips and docs around?