Re: digital camera recomendations

Mike McClain wrote:
A batteries are cheap, readily available and I can get NiCad and NiMH. Custom rechargable battery packs are like printer ink cartridges.

Mike
Except they last a lot longer - in both ways. I am not an electronic engineer, but I can imagine there's some benefit to designing a battery that delivers the cameras exact energy requirements rather than trying to make the most of the fixed output of AAs. Given how small compact digital cameras have become, AA batteries really just add unnecessary bulk.

I had a Sony DSC-S40 which is a great camera and takes AA batteries. If you can find one like that (or a similar one), I can definitely recommend it. I passed mine on to my mum (she had the exact same one but it went missing) and got myself a DSC-T100 before an overseas trip. I chose the T100 because of its sleek design - no protruding lens, and only about 1.5cm thick, so it fits in my jean or shirt pocket, and I don't even know it's there. I have invested in an extra battery for each of the digital cameras I've owned since, and honestly, it's been worth every penny. The T100's battery is tiny compared to two AAs, and gave me roughly double number of pictures that I got out of two 2700mAh NiCads. You can get third party ones off eBay that works just as well and cost little more than good AAs. Something else to keep in mind is that few rechargeable AAs can discharge as fast as the dedicated camera batteries, which means your flash cycle time is slower, unless you invest in the best AAs you can find. To that end, the Uniross 2700mAh are the best I've found so far.

But each to him/herself.

--kj