Re: Upgrading to Lenny & 2.6.26: serverworks OSB4 IDE problem

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 13:26 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Don't know, maybe you can try to build a custom kernel with
> CONFIG_PATA_SERVERWORKS (it is disabled in the Debian kernel) which
> seems to be the PATA driver for your IDE controller.

Yes that did the job; thanks for the tip.

Instructions at
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html
were invaluable.

I also had to select the sata_mv module to get the SATA drives on the
PCI-X card to appear (lspci showed Marvell controller).
With the former hda moving to sda, they moved up from sda & sdb under
2.6.18 to sdb & sdc.

This was my first ever kernel compile in 9 years of linuxing (mostly
Debian).  Previously stock kernels have always supported anything I've
put them on (and that includes a phase of installing linux on all sorts
of junk HW pulled out of people's trash/discarded by IT depts).  Have I
just been lucky in the past, or is the policy on which drivers get built
into stock kernels changing (or just unable to keep up with an ever
increasing number of drivers) and I can expect to need to do this more
in future ?

Tim