Re: Fedora guy asking for Debian guide

On 2009-02-17 23:07 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 21:58:20 H.S. wrote:
>> Coming from Fedora, it may be no useful to know that there is no
>> runlevel (init x) command in Debian as there is in Fedora. Most common
>> use for me of these commands was to restart the gui. In debian, almost
>> all such services are controlled scripts in /etc/init.d.
>
> Has it been removed, then?

No, of course not.  What H.S. probably wanted to say is that Debian
treats runlevels 2-5 equally and leaves differentiating between them to
the local system administrator, unlike Fedora where runlevels 2, 3 and 5
are configured very differently.

>  I used to use init 0, init 1 and init 6 frequently
> until someone told me a few months ago that
>
> shutdown -(whatever) now
>
> is better for the system.

If you use shutdown, it will send a message to all logged in users and
then call init to do the job, so it is not really different.

Sven