Re: Fedora guy asking for Debian guide

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 21:58:20 H.S. wrote:
> Coming from Fedora, it may be no useful to know that there is no
> runlevel (init x) command in Debian as there is in Fedora. Most common
> use for me of these commands was to restart the gui. In debian, almost
> all such services are controlled scripts in /etc/init.d.

Has it been removed, then?  I used to use init 0, init 1 and init 6 frequently
until someone told me a few months ago that

shutdown -(whatever) now

is better for the system.

I'm not convinced, since the first thing that shutdown does is go to the
relevant init command.  But I use shutdown as a preceaution.

Lisi