Re: Fedora guy asking for Debian guide

Hello,

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my first day on the list, usually, I use fedora, since fedora 1 (today's
> release is 10). Now, I'm trying Lenny. Downloaded netinst AMD64 but no
> GUI. Now, installing fglrx.
>
> Is there any short install guide (like http://www.fedorafaq.org/) you
> can suggest for a debian newbie?

There is http://www.debian.org/. Plus, you can also consult
http://www.debianhelp.org/.

Other than this, you will find this list very helpful. Searching google
usually gives pretty good hits too.

Coming from Fedora, it may be no useful to know that there is no
runlevel (init x) command in Debian as there is in Fedora. Most common
use for me of these commands was to restart the gui. In debian, almost
all such services are controlled scripts in /etc/init.d.

Packages are managed (installed, removed, reinstalled, searched, etc.)
using aptitude (recommended) or apt-get (older program). There are no
rpms in Debian (though rpms can installed using alien package). So there
are no rpm repos or channels obviously.

Package management examples:
#> aptitude update (checks repos for new updates)
#> aptitude safe-upgrade (or full-upgrade)

The other alternative is to use synaptic package manager, the GUI front
end to the package management.

Debs packages are obtained from Deb repositories specified in
/etc/apt/source.list file.

This is just to get you started with the main differences.

Welcome to Debian!
Good luck.

ever having been read.