Re: From x86 to x86-64

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/16/2009 08:33 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
[snip]

Hi Ron, just to let you know, if you have /home installed to /root and you have another OS installed or a Live CD to use you can delete all files except /home and then install no-format, if you get a warning after partition management to cancel or ignore, choose ignore, this works, I have done it many times.

You're a braver man than I!  One false step, and *poof*...

Yep, you're right, I'm brave, loyal and trustworthy, a regular Boy Scout I am. :)

Just along time Debian tester and willing to try different things, I predict that one of these days the Debian installer will have the option to save home and will then delete the system files for you, but until then the above is the next best thing.

I just now did a KDE install using the final Lenny DVD one where you now have the option of installing anyone one of four different desktops (sweet) and did not get any warning at all about not formating /root, I just used another system I had installed to delete all the files except /home and then did the install no-format /root, no wasted space and the system is installed all on one partition, I'm installing more software to it now, so I do know that this works and I have done it many times on many computers. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263