Re: From x86 to x86-64

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
On 30 Jan 2009, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> tinkywinky wrote:
> > I've installed x86 version of Lenny, but I have 64-bit processor. I'd like
> > to change to use 64-bit version of debian. Is that possible without having
> > to reinstall?
>
> There is a very simple way: just install the linux-image-*-amd64 and
> boot into that kernel. This will run a 64bit kernel with your 32bit
> system. It won't be 'fully' 64, but for me it's 64bit enough on my laptop.
>
> I don't really know how much real life improvement a fresh install of
> amd64 would yield, but I guess for most desktop systems it is not really
> to worry about...
> (Please correct me, if that's wrong or share any expererience on that)
>
> YMMV, cheers,
>
> Johannes

> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

Reading your post, I found I'd been doing that for a long time without
realizing it!. I've never had any problems; whether there is any benefit
I've no idea.

Anthony

All,
    I was thnking of doing a 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade myself using the "dpkg --get-selections"
and "dpkg --set-selections"route. This raises another question:

Can I install the 64 bit linux image, change my sources.list file to amd64 and do
a dist-upgrade?

Stuart