Hard freezes upon hotplugging a USB keyboard

Hi,

Running uptodate Sid.  I used to be able to hotplug my USB keyboard
into my laptop while running without any problems.  Recently, doing
this often, but not always, causes the system to lock up (screen
freeze, no response to keyboard / mouse).  I've never got Magic SysReq
working properly, and I haven't yet managed to hook up another system
on the network to see if I can ssh in.  I see nothing interesting in
the X log or syslog.  Has anyone seen anything similar?

The machine is an Acer Aspire 3690, the keyboard is a salvaged Dell
(from dmesg: 'NMB Dell USB 7HK Keyboard').

Celejar