Re: Lenny?

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:38:45 -0600, Kent West (westk@acu.edu) wrote:

> On my etch box, this package was not installed. So I installed it (and
> most all, if not all, of Gnome was removed as part of the process
> (?!!)). Now I have this version:
>
> Sun Feb 15     11:35:06
> -------------
> westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo aptitude show debian-archive-keyring

(no need for root privileges for aptitude show)

> Unable to find an archive "stable" for the package "debian-archive-keyring"
> Package: debian-archive-keyring
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 2007.07.31~etch1
>  The Debian project digitally signs its Release files. This package
> contains the archive keys used for that.
>
> Tags: admin::file-distribution, role::data, security::authentication,
> suite::debian
>

> And if I enable Lenny in my sources.list and do another update, I still
> have the same problem.
>
> So it seems to me that there's no ("normal, everyday-user") way to
> validate that the Lenny packages are valid without first installing a
> Lenny package which you can't be sure is valid.
>
> Am I missing something?

The package is there in stable, testing and unstable as far as I can
see.  Perhaps the mirror you are using has been slow to update.

bob@trantor:~$ apt-cache policy debian-archive-keyring
debian-archive-keyring:
  Installed: 2009.01.31
  Candidate: 2009.01.31
  Version table:
 *** 2009.01.31 0
        990 http://ftp.uk.debian.org testing/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org stable/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.