Re: security (malware) issues in Linux bases OSes

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the last some weeks I recall reading in one of the mailing lists that
> it is just a matter of popularity that we are not seeing bad intentioned
> debs or rpms on the internet. If Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora were to become
> sufficiently popular, the claim is that it would be just as easy and
> popular to infect these OSes by making a user install something like
> NakedBrittany.deb as is now the case with Windows users.

IF you are as stupid as a M$ user and _don't_ read the prompts but just
click "next" and type your admin pw you could install anything - that's
true for sure.

> I realize that a clueless user is always going to be weakest link in the
> fence against malware infection.
>
> Just wanted to throw this question out here to see what opinions various
> people have. What if such malicious deb or rpm is made available? How
> bad it would be for the same user as compared to similar malware in
> Windows case? Let us assume that the user has sudo access in Linux and
> has admin privileges in Windows.

Consider the _main_ difference that the first registered windows user
becomes automatically administrator. I'm not sure if it changed with second
etc. Also if you create a normal user it is practically impossible to work
with that user (manage system ressources).

So to me there is a very _big_ difference between the common linux OS's I
know so far and windows.

I think the main danger is in not using kind of firewall and week passwords,
so that someone from outside can crack your accounts and obtain root access
on your machine and even this is not that easy as in windows. And this is
not because windows is that popular, but because the concept is different

regards