Re: No-Script, was: Re: [OT] google earth 5.0

H.S. on 09/02/09 17:21, wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/09/2009 02:19 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
Ron Johnson on 05/02/09 12:43, wrote:
On 02/05/2009 03:40 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
[snip]
On my old machine I couldn't run FF tolerably without No-script.

Please expound.

In terms of speed - with No-script disabled, the javascript on many websites causes FF to lock up completely for 10, 20 or even 30 seconds (and without even displaying anything to read).

Really?  How old of a machine?

I can give one example: in Icepae (Debian Testing) it takes around 30 seconds
to get Slashdot page loaded partially when Iceape then tells me that the web
page has a script running that is taking a bit too long. I then tell noscript
to stop that script. End result, around 30 seconds to load this web page.

This is on a 1.9 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, 1.25 GB RAM.

On a newer machine that web page loads within some seconds, around 5 or so if
I am not wrong.

Just realised I had engaged my mouth (or better said my keyboard) before
engaging my brain - I use firebug with all its HTML, Javascript and HTTP
analytics and I have been running that all the time, effectively debugging all
the javascript that loads. Disabling it for normal surfing has dropped the load
times (and javascript freeze) by 66%. Doofus.

It's iceweasel running on a P4 2.4GHz CPU with 1048MB RAM with 2.5Mbps BB.

maps.google.co.uk takes 20 secs to load first up, unless I leave firebug
activated in which case it takes 1 min 10 secs :S

The other pages such as BBC.co.uk and nabble.com take 5 secs without firebug -
nothing to complain about too much I guess.