Re: Wich e-mail server to choose?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/11/2009 12:46 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Normally, I'd suggest Postfix - as I've found it the easiest to "wire up" with antivirus and antispam software, but... since the original poster indicated:

I would appreciate any advice on what mail Server to choose. This would be my first experience installing and configuring an internal mail server (No e-mail outside the LAN). Only to exchange mails between Windows PC’s inside my department (IP segment or subnet).

This is a small intranet project where a Windows DNS server is already running but is not in my possibilities to manage it. I’ll be using a Debian etch box to accomplish this intranet project.
I agree with the multiple suggestions to just let Debian install Exim.

Getting the aglomeration of Postfix (or Sendmail), plus amavis, plus spamassassin, etc. all working together takes more than a bit of doing. It's worth doing if you handle large amounts of external traffic (I run a bunch of email lists), but it is a royal pain.

Any harder than plugging amavis and spamassassin into Exim4?

never actually tried that combination - I just remember that I found more howto.s and such for the postfix-based combination - haven't looked in a few years, though