Re: Install Debian GNU/Linux

Cahaya Lilin wrote:
> Hello all..
>
> I want to  know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire
> files in the hard disk to another hard disk ??
>
> Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to
> install linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it
> would be good if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just
> by copy all of the files..
>
> and is there setting i have to do ??
>
> Thanx..

You can do that. There are many solutions, I suggest you to use sfdisk
and cp, we admit, you have two disks, on a same computer, the first disk
with data and the second disk with nothing, see my example to copy
partitions and to copy data :

(do everything as root)

1 - We copy partitions :

sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk /dev/hdc

2 - We copy all data for / :

mount -t auto /dev/hdc1 /mnt/
cp -dpRx / /mnt/
mount -t auto /dev/hdc2 /mnt/home
cp -dpRx /home /mnt/
and other partitions...

The advantage is that you don't need to boot with a live CD but the
second disk has to be on the same computer.

Regards,

--
http://snurf.info - http://about-gnulinux.info
« Honesty is the best policy »