Re: Browsing offline filesystems

2009/2/10 Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
> On 2009-02-10_12:56:53, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is there a tool that I can use to browse an offline file system, ie,
>> to cache it's directory structure and have it browsable? I have a
>> small home network with a laptop, and often I need to know what's on
>> any particular machine that is not present at the moment.
>>
>> --
>> Dotan Cohen
>
> The -s option in cp makes it create soft links rather than a actual
> copy of leaf files. You can use this to create a pure softlink copy
> of whatever structure you are interested in, and then copy this to
> the other computer. You will get on the other computer, the whole
> structure with each actual file represented by a broken softlink.
>
> This is like what you might get with tree, but the visual and keystoke
> interaction will be entirely the same as if you were searching on
> the computer where the data really is. Except that ... you find a
> broken link rather than the data. But now you know its there, and
> what you need to do to get it.
>
> I haven't done it, but I think it will work.
> Try it and let me know. I'm interested in finding out. ;-)

Amazing , Paul. This is the command that I used:
$ cp -sR /path/to/remote/system .

And now I have the whole remote filesystem tree mirrored here. Better
yet, when the system is mounted then the links work! Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü