Re: A question about /etc/profile (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:

> What is it you're actually trying to do? Those environment variables should
> be set for the shell you typed that into, and any child processes. They won't
> be set globally because, as far as I know, there's no way to set the
> environment for a parent process. This means that if you're opening up an
> xterm or whatever and entering those variables then they will take effect for
> anything started from that xterm, but not for anything else. To have them set
> across the board you would need them set earlier - like in /etc/profile as
> you've discovered, or your user's config files.

All right, that answers my question, thanks.  Now, I put those lines in a
script:

#!/bin/bash
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim

, made it executable with `chmod 755' but it doesn't seem to work.  Why?

Thanks again
Rodolfo