Re: A question about /etc/profile (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I added the following lines to /etc/profile:
>>
>> export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>> export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>> export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>

> How can I get the same result *without* putting that stuff in /etc/profile?  I
> mean, if I put that in /etc/profile, those commands are run at every boot,
> wheraes I want to run them at my pleasure.  If I simply give them from command
> line:
>
>  # export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>  # export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>  # export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>
> they don't seem to take any effect.

What is it you're actually trying to do? Those environment variables should be
set for the shell you typed that into, and any child processes. They won't be
set globally because, as far as I know, there's no way to set the environment
for a parent process. This means that if you're opening up an xterm or whatever
and entering those variables then they will take effect for anything started
from that xterm, but not for anything else. To have them set across the board
you would need them set earlier - like in /etc/profile as you've discovered, or
your user's config files.

Nye